Do you enjoy creating dazzling visualizations and unlocking amazing insights from everyday data? If that sounds like you, today you can start submitting videos for the Power BI demo contest at www.powerbicontest.com.
To enter the contest, use the Power BI for Office 365 Preview to create a three to ten minute video demo that shows off the features and functionalities of Power BI. The video should highlight one or more existing features such as Power Map, Power View, Q&A or any of the new updates released during the contest entry period. Entries will be evaluated based on the effectiveness of the demo in demonstrating usage of key features of Power BI, overall structure and flow, overall experience, and innovativeness and creativity.
You must submit your entry before January 15th to qualify for the contest. The first 25 entries will receive a Microsoft branded T-shirt. Then, community voting will take place between January 20th and January 30th to determine the top 10 finalists who will receive an Xbox One console. Next, a panel of PASS Board Members and Microsoft execs will select the top five finalists, who will receive a Surface Pro 2 tablet and a registration for the 2014 PASS Business Analytics Conference (PASS BAC) in San Jose, Calif. And finally, a panel of Microsoft execs will choose the Grand Prize winner, who will receive a VIP experience trip to San Jose, California for the PASS BAC where we will showcase his/her demo at the event!
So what are you waiting for? Get ready, get set, and enter the Power BI Demo Contest!
About the contest
- Submissions will be accepted between November 6, 2013 and January 15th, 2014 at www.powerbicontest.com
- Community voting will take place at www.powerbicontest.com between January 20, 2014 and January 30, 2014.
- The top ten finalists will be announced on February 1, 2014 based on the results of the community voting process.
- The top five demos as selected by a panel of Microsoft experts and PASS Board members will be announced on February 15, 2014.
- The Grand Prize Winner as selected by the Microsoft Executive team will be announced no later than April 30, 2014.
How will my entry be judged?
Video submissions will be judged based on the following criteria:
- 40% - Effectiveness of demo in demonstrating usage of key features of Power BI
- 20% - Overall structure and flow of demonstration
- 20% - Overall experience
- 20% - Innovativeness and creativity of demo
What are the prizes?
- The first 25 people to submit a qualifying demo will receive a T-shirt
- The top 10 finalists will receive an Xbox One console
- The top 5 winners will receive a Surface Pro 2 and a registration to the PASS Business Analytics Conference 2014 in San Jose, California
- The Grand Prize Winner will also receive a PASS BAC Prize Package which includes travel, accommodations, and a VIP experience at PASS BAC 2014. His/her demo will also be showcased by Microsoft at the event.
How to participate?
Just follow these 3 steps:
Step 1: Sign up for the Power BI for Office 365 preview, setup the service and download the Office 2013 trial and install the Power BI add-ins required
Step 2: Build your demo and record a video that is 3 to 10 minutes in length showcasing your insights and how you used Power BI
Step 3: Submit your demo at www.powerbicontest.com from November 6, 2013 to January 15, 2014.
We look forward to seeing your demos! You can enter the contest and see the complete contest rules at http://www.powerbicontest.com.
You can also stay up to date on all the news and information on the contest, and new features of Power BI as they are released by following us on Twitter @MSPowerBI and liking MicrosoftBI on Facebook.