Update May 2016: SAP BO connectivity is no longer available. Microsoft Power BI has new SAP BW and SAP HANA connectors. Learn more about these connectors.
Today Microsoft and SAP announced the general availability of Power BI connectivity to SAP BusinessObjects BI. This joint business intelligence interoperability solution is delivered in Microsoft Excel, Power BI for Office 365, and SAP BusinessObjects BI. With this solution, users can seamlessly connect to SAP BusinessObjects BI Universes as another supported data source in Power Query for Excel, enabling them to access and analyze data across the enterprise and share their data and insights in the cloud and any device through Power BI.
Customers that have invested in both companies’ BI stacks can now extend their trusted enterprise data into familiar business tools for self-service business intelligence. Access and analyze data with Power Query for Excel:
- Seamless access to trusted enterprise data – connect to the latest, accurate, and trusted data from an SAP BusinessObjects BI Universe including SAP BW and SAP Business Suite.
- Business friendly semantics in familiar business tools – easily work with data by navigating dimensions, measures, and business views from an SAP BusinessObjects BI Universe directly in Excel.
- Combining data from within and outside your organization – discover and combine SAP data with public, corporate and big data sources such as Microsoft Azure HDInsight.
- No hassle data refresh on-premises – refresh your data without a manual process on-premises.
- Deep interactive analysis and visualization – explore and present your data from an SAP BusinessObjects BI Universe visually through charts, graphs, and a 3D map experience.
Share and collaborate on newfound data and insights from an SAP BusinessObjects BI Universe by unlocking them across your organization with Power BI.
Watch this video to learn how to access and analyze enterprise data from SAP BusinessObjects BI Universes in Excel and Power BI:
To get started today, download Power Query for Excel with the generally available SAP BusinessObjects BI connectivity and follow the SAP BusinessObjects Tutorial. You can also sign-up for a free trial of Power BI for Office 365. As part of the Power BI trial you’ll receive a free 30 day trial of Office 365 ProPlus giving you access to the latest version of Excel.