Happy Haunting! Find the Best Places to Trick or Treat Using Power Map
Microsoft Thursday, October 31, 2013
This Halloween, we decided to visualize the best places in the U.S. to go trick or treating. What city do you think will win? Watch to find out, and then try the upcoming 3D visualization and storytelling capability for self-service business intelligence with Power Map Preview for Excel. The interactive tours you create in Power Map can now be exported to video and shared broadly (like here on YouTube!).
So how did we do this? We knew we had some great datasets available to us both within Power Query for Excel “Online Search” and other online datasets we could bring into Excel using Power Query "From Web”: Candy Spending, Home Value, Household Income, Walkability, and Crime. Together, these datasets were mapped and analyzed geospatially on the 3D Bing map in Power Map. Then we added a few cinematic elements (zooms, pans, etc), some 2D charts for comparison, and annotations, including pictures to call out insights, and…Boo(m)! With the new Create Video feature in Power Map, we exported our creation, added some spooky music, and then quickly and easily shared it with all of you on YouTube -- just in time for Halloween. Hopefully, you find it informative in your hauntings tonight!
As a special Halloween treat, we've provided the dataset used in this demo below. Best wishes from the Power BI team for a safe and bountiful trick or treat outing!
For more information on Power BI for Office 365, follow these next steps:
- Install Power Map Preview for Excel today.
- Install Power Query Preview for Excel today.
- Sign up for Power BI Preview.
- Access Power BI and Power Map Getting Started and Samples
- Access Power Query Documentation and samples.
- Follow the Power BI Getting Started guide.
- Join in on the conversation on Twitter by following us @MSPowerBI and @Office using hashtags #PowerBI and #PowerMap, and like us on Facebook at Microsoft BI and Office
- Once you are a “Power BI Pro” enter our Demo Contest for a chance to win an Xbox One, Surface Pro 2 and a trip to the 2014 PASS Business Analytics Conference!